We’ve all been there – a busy week, unexpected guests, or just plain procrastination can all quickly lead to a messy house. But where do you even begin when it comes to cleaning up the chaos?
In this article, we’ll provide some tips and tricks for starting the cleaning process and maintaining a clean living space.
Quick Tips for a Clean House
Here are some quick tips on how to clean your messy house when you’re overwhelmed.
- Start Small. When faced with a messy house, it can be overwhelming to think about cleaning everything at once. Instead, start small and focus on one room or area at a time. This will make the task more manageable and less daunting.
- Declutter First. Before you start cleaning, take some time to declutter your space. Get rid of any items that you no longer need or use, and find a designated spot for everything else. This will make it easier to clean and maintain a tidy space in the future.
- Use Multi-Purpose Cleaners. Instead of using different cleaners for each surface, opt for a multi-purpose cleaner that can be used on multiple surfaces. This will save you time and money, and also reduce the number of cleaning products you need to store.
- Set a Timer. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or unmotivated, try setting a timer for 15-20 minutes and focus on cleaning during that time. Once the timer goes off, take a break and then set it again for another 15-20 minutes. This will help you stay on track and make progress without feeling burnt out.
Step-By-Step: How to Clean a Messy House
Now that you have some quick tips for maintaining a clean house, let’s dive into the process of cleaning a messy house.
Pick Up First
Recruit other household members if you’re able. Grab a basket and go room to room picking up clutter and putting things back into their place. Clear off the kitchen counters, pick up dirty clothes, and put away toys.
This will set the stage for you to quickly feel more at peace, and make it easier for you to clean your clothes, and start on your cleaning checklist.
Gather Your Supplies
Once everything is picked up and put away, you’re ready to start cleaning. Before you start cleaning, make sure you have all the necessary supplies on hand. This may include:
- Multi-purpose cleaner
- Microfiber cloths
- Vacuum or broom
- Trash bags
- Rubber gloves
- Scrub brush
- Window cleaner
- Paper towels
Start with the Kitchen
The kitchen is often the heart of the home and can quickly become a mess with dirty dishes, spills, and clutter.
- Start by clearing off all countertops and putting away any dishes or items that don’t belong in the kitchen.
- Then, wipe down all surfaces with a multi-purpose cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
- Don’t forget to clean the sink and any appliances as well.
Move to the Living Room
Next, tackle the living room.
- Start by decluttering any items that don’t belong in the room and finding a designated spot for them.
- Then, dust all surfaces.
- Next, vacuum or sweep the floors.
- If you have any upholstered furniture, use a lint roller or vacuum attachment to remove any pet hair or debris.
Clean the Bathroom
The bathroom is another area that can quickly become messy and dirty.
- Start by decluttering any items on the countertops and putting them away.
- Then, spray down the shower, tub, and sink with a multi-purpose cleaner and let it sit.
- Clean the toilet.
- Once the toilet is clean, use a scrub brush to clean the shower, tub, and sink.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a microfiber cloth.
- Clean the bathroom floors.
Tackle the Bedrooms
Finally, it’s time to tackle the bedrooms. Go from one room to the next.
- Start by making the bed.
- Put away any clothes or clutter on the floor.
- Then, dust all surfaces and vacuum or sweep the floors.
- If you have any laundry to do, now is the time to start a load.
Clean Any Remaining Areas
If you have toy rooms, sitting areas, or other entryways that still need to be cleaned, tackle those next.
Maintaining a Clean House
Now that your house is clean, it’s important to maintain it to avoid falling back into old habits. Here are some tips for keeping your home clean regularly.
- Create a Cleaning Schedule. Creating a cleaning schedule can help you stay on top of household tasks and prevent them from piling up. This can include daily, weekly, and monthly tasks, such as doing laundry, vacuuming, and deep cleaning certain areas.
- Get the Whole Family Involved. Cleaning shouldn’t fall solely on one person’s shoulders. Get the whole family involved in maintaining a clean house by assigning tasks and setting expectations for everyone to pitch in.
- Do a Quick Clean Every Day. Taking between 10 to 30 minutes each day to do a quick clean can make a big difference in the overall cleanliness of your house. This can include tasks like wiping down countertops, doing a load of laundry, or sweeping the floors.
- Pro Tip: Set a timer and get done with whatever you can accomplish in the allotted time frame. If 30 minutes feels too daunting, start with just 10 minutes and work your way up. We have a feeling once that 10-minute timer goes off, you’ll be feeling more motivated to keep cleaning and picking up.
The Benefits of Having a Clean Home
A clean house not only looks and smells better, but it also has numerous benefits for your physical and mental well-being. Here are just a few reasons why it’s important to keep a clean house:
Reduces Stress and Anxiety
A cluttered and messy environment can lead to feelings of stress and anxiety. On the other hand, a clean and organized space can promote a sense of calm and relaxation. By keeping your house clean, you can reduce stress and improve your overall mental health.
Promotes Physical Health
A messy house can also be a breeding ground for bacteria and germs, which can lead to illness and allergies. By regularly cleaning and disinfecting your living space, you can reduce the risk of getting sick and promote better physical health.
A cluttered and disorganized space can also lead to a cluttered and disorganized mind. By keeping your house clean and tidy, you can improve your focus and productivity, making it easier to tackle tasks and stay on top of your responsibilities.
Call In Backup and Support
We get it—life gets busy, and finding the time and energy to maintain a tidy living space can be challenging. That’s why Carpe Diem Cleaning is here to offer our support with our monthly or one-time deep cleaning services.
Let us handle the dirt, so you can focus on what truly matters to you. Our professional team is dedicated to ensuring your home remains a haven of cleanliness. Seize the opportunity to free yourself from the cleaning worries this year.
Contact us today for a personalized quote at CarpeDiemCleaning.com and let the year ahead be a celebration of stress-free, sparkling spaces!